Art and Design
Art and Design Aims
The National Curriculum for art and design aims to ensure that all pupils:
- produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences
- become proficient in using drawing, painting, sculpture and other creative expressions
- evaluate and analyse artistic works using the language of art, craft and design
- know about the great artists, craftsmen and designers, and understand the historical development of their art forms.
Key Stage 2
Pupils should be taught to develop their techniques, including their control and their use of materials, with experimentation and an increasing awareness of different kinds of art, craft and design.
Pupils should be taught:
- to create sketch books to record their observations and use them to review and revisit ideas, and collect visual material to help them to develop their ideas
- to improve their mastery of techniques, such as drawing, painting and sculpture with materials (e.g. pencil, charcoal, paint, clay)
about the greatest artists, architects and designers in history.
Link: Art and Design