The National Curriculum for music aims to ensure that all pupils:
- perform, listen to, review and evaluate music across a range of historical periods, genres, styles and traditions, including the works of great musicians and composers
- learn to sing and to use their voices, to compose and make music with others, have the opportunity to learn a musical instrument, and
- have the opportunity to progress to the next level of musical excellence
- understand musical notations and how music is constructed, produced and communicated through its inter-related dimensions: pitch, duration, dynamics, tempo, timbre, texture and structure.
Subject Content Key Stage 1
Pupils should be taught to:
- use their voices expressively by singing songs and speaking chants and rhymes
- play tuned and untuned instruments musically
- listen with concentration and understanding to a range of high-quality live and recorded music
- make and combine sounds using the inter-related dimensions of music.